Idaho Falls Car Accident Attorneys
Compassionate Idaho Falls Car Accident Lawyers Ready To Assist You
According to the Idaho Transportation Department, motor vehicle crashes on state roads and highways have increased each year since at least 2012. If a car accident caused by the negligent or careless behavior of another party causes you to suffer a serious personal injury, our dedicated Idaho Falls car accident lawyers at Petersen, Parkinson & Arnold, PLLC, will fight for the compensation you deserve. Our team of Idaho Falls car accident attorneys will fight for your best interests and maximize your chances of receiving a fair settlement. We do this by investigating and analyzing the accident, collecting evidence, working with doctors and other medical providers, negotiating with insurance companies, handling paperwork for you, and filing a lawsuit when necessary.
In short, our Idaho Falls car accident lawyers take the burden of having to deal with the financial aftermath of a car accident off your shoulders. This leaves you free so you are free to focus on what should be your most important task: working with your doctors to recover from your injuries.
Our Idaho Falls car accident attorneys go beyond the low-ball settlement offers to ensure you receive fair compensation and ensure that all injury-related expenses, including lost income, are taken into account.
Common Types of Car Accidents in Idaho Falls
Idaho Falls is a great place to live, but as in most cities, the roads can be treacherous – especially during the summer. Believe it or not, most of the motor vehicle accidents that result in death happen in the warmer months, and rural drivers are at greater risk of injury than urban drivers. With that in mind, here are some of the most common types of car accidents that happen in Idaho Falls.
- Moving Out of Your Lane – According to Idaho roadway statistics, not staying in your lane accounts for 25% of all car accidents. These kinds of accidents are often fatal and usually result from driving drowsy, driving while distracted, and making improper lane changes.
- Driving While Distracted – Accounting for 22% of all Idaho accidents, distracted driving is the result of trying to text, talk on the phone, check emails, browse social media, or deal with unruly children while driving. Put your phone away and don’t hesitate to “pull this car over” if you need to settle your children down.
- Speeding – Increased speeds give you less time to respond to dangerous situations. This is especially true on the often icy roads of Idaho Falls. Slow down, especially during bad weather, and always obey the speed limit.
- Tailgating and Driving Too Close – Being too close to the car in front of you lessens your ability to stop in time and accounts for 19% of Idaho accidents. According to Idaho law, you must drive at least 3 seconds behind the car in front of you, and you should increase that distance during inclement weather.
- Collisions with Animals – We have a lot of beautiful wildlife and farm animals in Idaho and, unfortunately, they sometimes find their way onto our roadways. Use your high beams – especially in rural areas – at night if permissible, and pay close attention to your surroundings.
Caring Yet Aggressive Idaho Falls Car Accident Law Firm
Representing All of Southern Idaho including Twin Falls and Burley
With more than 65 years of combined experience, the team knows how to care for our clients. We have helped hundreds of victims during what is arguably one of the most difficult times in their lives.
No one gets into their car expecting their life to change at any moment. So when another driver’s carelessness causes injuries to you or a loved one, it is an unexpected, traumatic event that requires care. You will need medical care from doctors, nurses, and physical or occupational therapists, depending on your injuries. However, your family’s ability to survive also comes into play when a breadwinner is no longer able to function. And just as you need a doctor to help heal your body, you need a caring legal team to help you become financially whole.
Our Idaho Falls car accident attorneys at Petersen, Parkinson & Arnold, PLLC, stand up to insurance companies and give each car accident injury claim the attention it deserves. We will do all that we legally can to be sure that your financial losses are compensated for – even the losses that you have not yet incurred. We can look at your entire situation and determine what compensation will enable you to pay your bills now and into the future. So let us help make you whole. Let us help to lessen the trauma that you are experiencing.
Motor vehicle collisions are sudden, violent events, that can leave leaving victims seriously injured and confused about how they happened and what to do next. Fortunately, an Idaho Falls car accident attorney at our injury law firm has what it takes to not only handle your claim but to win it.
Car Accident Attorneys in Idaho Falls with Superior Skills and Knowledge
Analyzing facts and evidence to identify the party responsible for causing a collision requires skills and knowledge developed through years of experience pursuing claims for compensation on behalf of victims injured in car accidents. In addition to meeting with you to review the facts of the accident as you recall them, our seasoned legal team obtains additional information from police reports, eyewitness statements, photographs of the accident scene and the vehicles, and accident reports filed by the drivers of other vehicles involved in the collision.
Only by gathering as much information as possible about the collision that caused you to suffer injuries can we determine what caused it. The evidence might reveal the existence of parties in addition to the one that struck you. For example, a missing stop sign or other traffic control device might lead to a claim against the state or local government agency responsible for it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The at-fault driver’s insurance company wants me to give them a recorded statement. Should I comply?
No, not unless your lawyer says it’s OK. All you should send is a bare-bones notification of the accident because the insurance company will be examining anything you say or write for evidence that they can use to deny or minimize your claim. The same care should be taken when communicating with your own insurance company.
The at-fault driver was driving a company car at the time of the accident. Can I collect from the driver’s employer?
That all depends on whether:
- The driver was on duty at the time of the accident;
- The driver was “acting within the scope of his duties”; and
- The driver was an actual employee of the company (many truck drivers, for example, are considered “independent contractors” rather than employees, meaning that the company is not responsible for their negligence).
The at-fault driver received a traffic ticket at the scene of the accident. Can I use this against him?
Perhaps, especially if the driver pleads guilty in traffic court. Of course, the behavior that triggered the traffic ticket must have been responsible for causing the accident; otherwise, it is irrelevant.
The at-fault driver was intoxicated at the time of the accident. Can I file a claim against the bar that sold him alcohol?
Perhaps. Under the Idaho dram shop law, you can sue the bar that sold the at-fault driver alcohol if:
- The driver was under 21 and the bartender knew or should have known, that the driver was underage; or
- The driver was obviously intoxicated at the time he was served.
Can I recover damages for “pain and suffering”?
This is definitely possible, especially if you were seriously injured. Your total pain and suffering damages might far exceed the compensation you received for your medical bills. The amount would be based on:
- The seriousness of your injury
- The amount of pain that you suffered, based primarily on objective evidence (X-ray, etc.)
- Any disfigurement or disability caused by your injury (a scar, for example, or loss of use of a limb).
The Insurance Company Is Your Adversary, Not Your “Neighbor,” Nor “Are You In Good Hands”
Do not be fooled by insurance company advertising. Insurance companies are profit-seeking businesses, and they do not profit by paying out claims In fact, they become your adversary the moment you file a claim against one of their policies.
You have to understand that the insurance company is always going to try to low-ball an accident victim who does not have a lawyer. Yes, that is sad, but it’s also true. They know that you have very little experience dealing with insurance adjusters. They know that you very likely do not have an accurate idea of what your injuries are worth, or even if you do, you don’t know how to accurately calculate future damages that may come up. In fact, they are counting on this.
And if you accept their offer, please know that that is it. You cannot go back to the table for a second helping later. Once you settle, you settle for good. So if in 6 months or so you find yourself still needing medical treatment or therapy of any kind and you’ve run out of money, you are on your own. Or if you are unable to return to work or have to switch careers because you can no longer perform your duties, it is too late to recover from that significant financial loss.
This could bankrupt you. So do not be lured into accepting their offer because you “just want this to be over.” It will be over for the insurance company, but it may not be over for you. Don’t let them off the hook. Get legal representation that ensures you get your full recovery.
Also, keep in mind that the average insurance adjuster is a professional negotiator with a thousand tricks up his sleeve. The following are only a few of the tricks they like to play:
- Snooping into your social media accounts for evidence that you are healthier than you are claiming to be (beware of “friend” requests from strangers during this time!)
- Issuing a quick, inadequate “take it or leave it” settlement offer while you are still in recovery
- Demanding unlimited access to your medical records
- Taking a recorded statement of an interview with you in which they ask you trick questions
A highly experienced Idaho Falls car accident attorney knows their tricks, and we absolutely will not allow them to take advantage of one of our clients.
Our respected legal team relentlessly pursues a recovery that adequately compensates you for the injuries caused by the negligent party, including:
- Lost wages
- Lost or diminished future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses related to anticipated surgeries or treatment
Your spouse might be entitled to recover damages in a claim for loss of consortium. An attorney will carefully review each aspect of your case with you and the members of your family to ensure you are kept fully informed. If you have questions or concerns, your car accident attorney makes the time to speak with you to address them. Our Idaho Falls car accident lawyers never lose sight of the fact that our obligation is to you.
Speak with a Trusted Idaho Falls Car Accident Lawyer Today
When you need trusted legal advice and top-notch representation, the team of professionals at Petersen, Parkinson & Arnold PLLC are some of Idaho Falls and Southern Idaho’s most experienced auto accident lawyers. With more than 65 years of combined experience, our firm has helped hundreds of clients achieve the outcome they deserve. Our trusted legal team also handles injury cases such as workers’ accident compensation and social security disability. As seasoned Idaho Falls car accident lawyers, we give you the peace of mind you need to focus on your recovery while we handle the rest.
Call us today to learn more about how we can help you!